Saturday, September 22, 2012

Wedding Day Thoughts

It's wedding day!!

Obviously, not mine. Duh. But a good friend of mine is getting married today, and it has me thinking.

While out running around like a mad woman this morning, buying birthday gifts for the two birthday parties we're missing today (and just for the record, all of these gifts would have already been purchased had I had not been sick all week and still had a million other things to do), and buying some things for myself (because my husband rocks), I heard a song on the radio that sparked some serious emotion. (Sorry for the longest run on sentence in the history of man!)

The song was "True Believers" by Darius Rucker. I've heard it before, several times, but I guess I never really listened to the words. But I was reflecting on my own wedding, since it's wedding day, and I was really madly in love with my man since he let me loose to do some shopping and told me to score some things for myself too. Anyway. I want to share a few of the lyrics, because I feel like they truly speak to my marriage, and the life we've made.

Church bells ringin' on our wedding day
Climb in that limo and we rode away
Guess you'll always hear some people say
They're never gonna make it
We settled in and we settled down
In this quiet little seaside town
You were the rock I built my life around
And life won't ever break it
We are one heartbeat in the darkness
We are one lasting answered prayer
We are one unbroken promise
We are two true believers
It wasn't easy getting here today
Sometimes you stumbled, or I lost my way
But every roadblock was a chance to say
Take my hand, I'm here beside you
We worked and made it through the toughest parts 
Now every day is another chance to start
To look around and see that where we are
Is where we were trying to go
We are one before our God in heaven
We are one road when the going gets rough
We are one now and forever
We are one name, one life, one flame

I feel extremely fortunate to say that our relationship was never one that was met with much resistance. I think everyone knew from the very beginning that he was the one for me. From the night I met him and came home telling everyone I had just met my husband (It's a true story: it DOES happen in real life). I'm also incredibly grateful that our "struggles" have been nothing compared to what some couples go through. We have been beyond blessed with amazing families that have helped us through anything and everything, and our hardest times have been during my pregnancy, in regards to all the health problems that presented themselves. But through it all, I had an amazing, strong man next to me, and I swear, I feel like this song was written for us. 

I know, I know, all of this because he let me go shopping? But really, yes. It was a big deal. Especially since yesterday I had a day. You know the kind. The kind of day filled with "Are you freaking kidding me???" moments. I had several of them. Most of them from my toddler, but sadly, a few from adults too. It was just.... a day. And a good friend of mine was having a day too, when her daughter fed herself and her little brother extra vitamins. A call to poison control and a quick chat with me later, I think we were both feeling at least a little bit better about ourselves as mothers. I hope so, at least. Because, Stacie, you are an AMAZING mom!!!!!

It's funny, because as I was telling her how great she is, and how kids are just going to do these things, I was wondering why I couldn't say the same things to myself. Why was I having a meltdown over the fact that my kid just WILL NOT stay out of the cat food? Or that he has now discovered how to get all our light socket covers off, and it's probably only a matter of time before he electrocutes himself? Kids will do these things (ok no, not get electrocuted, and I assure you, we are taking every measure necessary to ensure that that does NOT happen, please don't go calling CPS on me), it does not reflect me as a mother. Even though yesterday, and almost every other day, I find myself wondering, "What am I not getting?" or "Why can't I make him stop? Am I bad a mom?". No, no I'm not. And I'm not missing anything. Except maybe a few hairs on my head, because I'm sure he's making me go bald with all his shenanigans. 

Anyway. It's wedding day, and that means we get to get dressed up, and get out together for a few hours. A few hours where we don't have to be mommy and daddy (although, rest assured, I will be missing him like crazy the whole time....I even tried making him as a date for the BFF), a few hours where we can just laugh and drink and eat and drink and dance and drink with our friends. (No, I'm really not a lush, but did I mention that my kid has nearly electrocuted himself several times??). So bring on the fun! And monkey, we'll catch up on all our snuggles tomorrow ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment